Most of you know I’m not a Meme person but I got tagged by Tater this weekend and thought it was probably time I gave up some info about myself.
The task is to tell you 10 things about me that you don’t already know or would find interesting. I’m not sure the things I’ve chosen are all that interesting but I haven’t blogged any of this prior to now, therefore, if you know about it, you’re either family, a close friend or you read the graffiti above the urinals.
1. On my first excursion to the Rich Street Baths in San Francisco I ran into Rock Hudson (yeah, I’m that old). Having had a schoolboy crush on him for years, I was too dumbfounded to earn the title Starfucker. Numerous others weren’t.
2. I used to date a Catholic Priest. We met at a club in NYC and went back to his church in Brooklyn where, after fucking all night, he delivered morning Mass. I don’t know if that means I’m especially blessed or eternally damned.
3. On a dare, I once followed all the members of the Grateful Dead to the bathroom to see how they measured up. We were working backstage and some of my friends were discussing whether Bob Weir was worth “doing”. Let’s just say “Bob” lives up to his name.
4. When I fucked up as a kid my father would actually hand me his pocketknife and tell me to go cut a switch. There were times I missed school because of the welts on my ass, legs and back. If he were really steamed and didn’t want to wait for me to bring him his weapon, he’d grab whatever was nearby. The “Hot Wheels” track left nice double lined marks and the buckle of his belt actually cut through the skin but the worst was the extension cord. The plastic insulation literally burns the skin.
5. By the age of sixteen I owned every Barbara Streisand album including the out of print “Pins and Needles” for which I paid a hefty price. And my Dad didn’t know I was gay? Today I only own three of her albums and one is “Pins and Needles” which you can purchase for a song at Amazon. These days Barbra bores me to tears.
6. Tom Waits moves me to tears. Yep, he’s a God!
7. As a child I hated virtually all food except hot dogs and Kraft macaroni and cheese. My parents tried everything to get me to eat but I wanted nothing to do with food. Now you can hardly pull me from the kitchen. I love to cook and love to eat and have to be careful about my weight. I think I have a food addiction.
8. I’m borderline OCD. It’s kind of hard to describe but I used to fixate on words, searching for a balanced pattern. If there were an uneven number of letters, I would have to find a pattern such as, 3 letters, 1, letter, 3 letters, in order to feel comfortable with the word. If I didn’t find and visualize this pattern I would get frustrated and anxious. I don’t consciously look for patterns any longer and the uneasiness is gone but occasionally a pattern pops into my head and I realize it’s still lurking in my brain. The good thing is I’ve got it under control without the use of drugs.
9. I allowed a friend studying cosmetology to dye Zebra stripes into my blonde locks for his portfolio. He tried bleaching me back to my normal color but it didn’t work. I ended up with grey stripes in my hair for 3 months. This was shortly after I cut off my foot high purple Mohawk. I had to use glue and hairspray to get the hair to stand up but the spikes were fierce!
10. I used to work for Bill Graham Presents in San Francisco which means I saw virtually every band that came through the Bay Area in the early 80’s. I could write a book about the people I met, the drugs I took and the strange goings on behind the scenes but it’s already been done. I’m just glad I didn’t drown in my own vomit.
Now, with that task behind me I guess it’s my turn to tag a few folks. I’ll start with Toni at Portland Diaries because I know she has a few good stories to tell. Mark at Scuff Productions, “ex-Mormon” says it all, and my blog-mama Emily at Sweet and Sour Jane who needs someone to light a fire under her ass so she’ll get back to blogging.