Yea! I opened the mailbox Saturday to find a check from the insurance company to have my truck repaired. I was surprised at the efficiency of this company and how little effort it took to get them to pay.
I made the call today to get the truck in the shop and will be met at the body shop by the rental car company first thing tomorrow morning. This meant cleaning all the personal belongings out of my truck tonight which, being the anal retentive type, only took minutes. The funny part was going through the contents of my jockey box that proved the aforementioned anal retentiveness is limited to the visible.
Here’s what I found…
1) Brochure from local nursery picked up at last year’s semi-annual Hearty Plant Society Sale.
2) Maps of Portland, Washington, and Oregon.
3) Reading glasses
4) Dental floss
5) 3 books of matches left over from my smoking days
6) A brand new toothbrush in it’s box
7) Cinnamon Altoids
8) Carmex ( I give up trying to get rid of this smiley)
9) Tire gauge
10) Screwdriver with interchangeable bits
11) Owners manual and service history
Pretty normal. Then I found…
12) Certificate of liability insurance from November 2003
13) Renewal letter for insurance from May 2004
14) Certificate of liability insurance from May 2004
15) Renewal letter for insurance from November 2004
16) Certificate of liability insurance from November 2004
17) Renewal letter for insurance from May 2005
18) Certificate of liability insurance May 2005
19) Renewal letter for insurance November 2005
20) Certificate of liability insurance from November 2005
21) Renewal letter for insurance from May 2006
22) Certificate of liability insurance May 2006
I did not have the current renewal letter or certificate and why do I have the renewal letters in the first place? They’re of absolutely no help should I get pulled over.
We only register our cars in Oregon every two years and I have the registration from…
25) 2005 (the most recent)
These were joined by my warranty for tires from Les Schwab from…
26) December 1999
27) March 2001
28) July 2002
29) July 2006
And a battery warranty from…
30) September 2006
But I’m not done yet. I also found 2 cassette tapes that have been buried in the bottom of the box and to the best of my knowledge, not played since 2001 when we drove to Utah on family business.
31) Patsy Cline’s greatest hits
32) Grateful Dead, Greek Theater, July 13, 1984 (Dark Star encore!)
I’m sure we had more than those two tapes because we had to travel through a lot of Jesus country and I’m careful not to have to rely on the radio in those circumstances. Patsy and the Dead just had to be easily accessible I guess.
33) A headset from a cell phone I had 5 years ago
Then in the ashtray I found…
34) 7 unused but not no longer usable toothpicks
35) 2 paperclips
36) 9 packages of salt
37) A rubber tipped gum massager (which I use twice daily)
38) $6.60 in change for parking meters
I had only a few other items in the rest of the truck…a floodlight, tie-downs for the bed, my umbrella, a wool blanket, air freshener and the jack of course.
Maybe there was more to this event than I imagined. Maybe the universe was telling me it’s time to clean out my jockey box.
Then again…probably not.